My friend Kelsey made the 2 hour plane ride from Atlanta to NYC to see me for, get this, approximately 42 hours. Yes, you read the correctly. Less than 2 full days. But man, did we make the most of it! After a perfect girls weekend, you’ll realize exactly how comforting being reunited with your person after 9 weeks apart, and quickly vow that you are never, ever going to do that again.
So to capitalize and reinforce on exactly how perfect this weekend was, I want to tell you 11 reasons why girls weekends are the best weekends.
1. She’ll get in at midnight, change into going-out clothes, and find the closest decent bar to talk over the latest and greatest from since the last time you saw each other. And, she’ll order the same drink as you because you’re basically the same person living in two different cities.
2. After a couple drinks, you’ll both realize that it’s 2:30 a.m. and you’ve worked 45 hour weeks and are exhausted. Then you’ll proceed to the closest open pizza shop, order two unreasonably large slices of pizza, walk home and indulge. You’ll finally fall asleep around 3:30 after laughing about the fact that at 3 a.m. you were both pigging out on bacon-covered pizza in bed. No. Regrets.
3. She’ll wake up the next morning feeling just as sleep-deprived and dehydrated as you, and while you’re sipping on Strawberry Lemonade Sparking Ice water, you’ll look over as she’ll is sipping on whatever she finds in your fridge… including a cranberita. No, it’s not 9 a.m. (yes, it was).
4. Once you feel refreshed and showered, you’ll realize not only do you have identical black Kate Spade bags, but you also have matching Zara dresses. Not to mention you each have multiples of the same dress in different colors. Twinsies isn’t even the word.
5. While putting on the makeup you’re going to sweat off in the summer heat, you’ll spend an hour trying to find the perfect brunch place. You’ll make a reservation only to have to push back said reservation because you needed an extra 15 minutes of beauty sleep after your hair is fixed… which means you had to fix it again.
6. You’ll finally head to brunch and you’ll pass the place 4 times before realizing they don’t have a sign. When you sit down and the waiter approaches the table, you’ll both realize at approximately the exact same time that it is now noon and neither of you have had a cup of coffee. Then you’ll be equally as annoyed when the waiter brings your scones and cocktail before the cup of coffee. You’ll laugh about it once you down the first cup and ask for more, but before then there was nothing to be laughed about.
7. After spending 2.5 hours at brunch, you’ll leave feeling refreshed and spend the next 2.5 hours doing exactly what you both know how to do best: retail therapy. You’ll also stop in the middle of retail therapy being equally as frustrated, thirsty and downright hot, and you’ll go to the closest McDonald”s (even if that is on the edge of Chinatown). While walking the streets, your dresses will be caught in the wind/from the subway vents in some not-glamorous Marilyn Monroe way and she’ll yell, “Well, I just showed the world my butt.” Only for it to happen again and she’ll yell “Oh there it is again!” Subsequently, you’ll almost drop your Sbarro pasta laughing so hard.
8. While eating your Sbarro pasta and getting ready, you’ll drink Sparkling Peach Moscoto out of Tervis Tumblrs while laughing about lyrics. Like why is he talking about cheating on his girlfriend? No, it’s okay because at the end of the night he’s gonna stay true. Ooo I’m gonna stay true…. You know we’re talking bodies, you gotta perfect one…Cause baby now we’ve got bad blood. I hate this song next.
9. The night will take you to some random bar that you’ll enjoy the drinks, but the crowd won’t be your style. You’ll try another but decide it’s late and you’re both really looking forward to tomorrow’s brunch. So you resign and leave, only to get home and eat left over Sbarro and eggs-over-easy while discussing tomorrow’s brunch plans. One of you will fall asleep in the middle of a sentence, and then you’ll both be out like a light soon after.
10. The alarm will sound at 9:30. Snooze. 9:45. Snooze. 10:00. Snooze. 10:15. Snooze. 10:30. UGHH the brunch line is going to be sooooo long. You’ll throw on your dresses, pull your hair up and head out the door. Brunch will be everything and more. You’ll spend 2 hours talking about how great the past 24 hours have been and how much you desperately want to be in the same city like old times. A.k.a. 2 months ago.
11. After a day of relaxation, manicures and straight-up girl talk — including deciding that when one of you gets married, you’ll have to buy a house with spare bedrooms because the other is definitely moving in—you’ll return to your apartment where you’ll lay in bed sulking because she has to pack her bags. You’ll proceed to order delivery and only leave your apartment to call her a cab. You’ll hug goodbye and quickly remember, you’ve already made plans for the day after you return home (Oops, sorry mom and dad.)
In the end, you know that technically you can live without each other… But that life would include a substantial amount of money because you can’t afford a therapist as good as her. You’re willing to go through great lengths to see each other, if only for 2 days, and no matter how long, it will never be long enough for all the laughs to be had. There’s nothing quite like that semester you spent together becoming the closest friends in a small amount of time, but that’s what makes this friendship unique. This isn’t the high school best friend you promised nothing would ever change. This is a realistic friendship that you openly admit everything is changing. You just now know that it’s worth blowing a two-week’s paycheck in 42 hours just so you can see your person. The only thing that would have made this weekend better is if that third girlfriend could have made the trip. (Missed you Brittany!)